3 Best Smart TV Apps in 2018 [TL;DR]
- Netflix – Craving for movies and original series? Netflix has them for you.
- YouTube – Really good for daily doses of short videos, YouTube is becoming the new “TV show” stop for a lot of people.
- Spotify – Weird for a TV? We don’t think so. Just imagine listening to Hi-Def audio on your Hi-Def smart TV speakers.
More households are getting smart TVs as a part of their home entertainment system. We have covered three of the best smart TVs before, and despite the amazing features that these TVs have, they are becoming quite affordable.
These kinds of TVs have better features though, compared to their older counterparts. One of these features is the use of internet-based applications.
There are a lot of smart TV apps out there available for downloadable, but in reality, you only need a few in order to enjoy it to the fullest.
And that is what this article is for. To avoid the confusion of having tons of apps on your TV, here are the three best smart TV apps that are “must-haves:”
Cost: Monthly Payment
The popular mobile and PC/Mac app now comes to smart TV, and it… is… AWESOME.
Netflix started as a streaming service for movies on PCs. They then moved over to dominate mobile platforms.
Many Filipinos loved this since, for a cheap price – as low as Php 370.00 per month for a single screen – we can have the ability to watch things anywhere we like.
At home on a rainy weekend? Netflix and chill.
In a long ride towards your office or school? Switch up Netflix and enjoy.
Sure, cable TV, blah blah, but Netflix does offer a lot of shows that are not available on cable, in the form of their Netflix Originals.
These shows are only available through the app, and you can enjoy them on your smart TVs. And quite frankly, a lot of these shows are big hits that you should definitely watch.
Editor’s choice to watch on Netflix:
- Black Mirror – this show is amazing. This is showing how technology affects a seemingly utopic society, into a dystopian nightmare.
- Riverdale – imagine the lovable Archie comic characters and turning the story and setting darker and realistic, and you have this show.
- Narcos – an American crime drama featuring the infamous story of Pablo Escobar. I don’t want to give away the plot, but trust me, this is GOOD.
The granddaddy of modern videos, which is becoming the new TV on desktops.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube, and that is an understatement. There is always a video for someone on this platform.
Currently, this platform is a host for tons of vloggers, social commentaries, celebrity entertainment, animation, and more.
As more content creators enter YouTube, more videos get uploaded, and it kinda becomes confusing at times, but the platform is still one of the best apps to watch videos from.
Editor’s choice to watch on YouTube:
- Good Mythical Morning – with a slew of videos, these two content creators feature a wide variety of content that ranges from hilarious to weird.
- Pewdiepie – Felix Kjellberg is the top guy on YouTube, and he is one of the most controversial guys in the platforms as well. He started popularizing “Let’s Play” videos on the platform, but now does reactions and social commentaries mostly.
Cost: Free, but has a premium feature
This might sound weird but Spotify actually isn’t a bad app to get on your smart TV.
Most smart TVs have really good sound systems built in, and this makes Spotify and its slew of music can make the most out of it.
Imagine having a house party, and you don’t have good speakers on your PC or for a mobile device. Just turn on the smart TV, hit up Spotify, and you are good to go!
Also, the app has been bought by Microsoft, so they have a lot of interesting features added to it.
It has a premium feature for picky listeners, but you can still fully enjoy even in its free mode.
Editor’s choice to listen in Spotify:
- Music – obviously.
Do you have any other apps on your smart TV? There are a lot, so do let us know what else you use down on the comments below!